Thursday, March 3, 2011

To MBA or Not To MBA



My Story
So there I was, in the CEO's office of one of the biggest projects in Johor, a tad nervous for this 2nd and final interview session. I was pleased with myself, as I knew I aced the first interview with the Vice President, and quite confident that I would breeze through this one as well. In walked the CEO, larger than life (as CEOs always are) and sat in front of me with barely a smirk on his expressionless face. There was an awkward silence as he browsed through my Resume, one page at a time.

Then he stopped, looked up at me from behind his glasses and asked me a question I never thought I'd ever hear..."Why did you do an MBA?"

Weird question, I thought, but answered with poise and confidence "Because I wanted to know more about business, and that was a fantastic ticket"

"Couldn't you have just read about business from books? Did you need to pay and spend 18 months to learn about business?" If anyone were to ask me that now, I would have a list of plausible answers to choose from. But then, barely fresh out of grad school, I was stunned by his persistence at questioning me about my degree. "Well," I started, "...of course I can read about business from books, but the MBA was a good guide for me"

"Guide to do what?" he pressed on

"Guide to life. Guide to know where to start learning about business. I really don't know what I don't know, so an MBA was a good start" I was relentless too

"So, it says here that you're in the top 5% of the class. Does it make a difference?" he probed further

"I guess it does, it means that I started off determined to do what I wanted to, and succeeded at it" I was losing my cool now, mainly because I was running out of 'smart' answers

And for the next 10 minutes or so, he, and the Vice President, who both graduated with a Masters in Economy, bluntly told me that my 18-month and RM 30,000 MBA was worthless. They were actually laughing so hard, I felt like a little kid being laughed at by her kindergarten mates for wearing socks of a different colour on each feet! I should've just walked out saying something smart like "I don't expect you to understand the value of an MBA, because you don't have one. I do not wish to sit here any longer and be laughed at for the choices I made. I will go to a place where I am valued"

The Question
So, to MBA or not to MBA? I realize that many people are in this predicament. They want to further their studies, but should they consider an MBA? Some say the MBA is losing its value. Some say it's too common, you'd just have to throw a rock and the person it hits has an MBA (wow, really?)

At the expense of sounding biased over my suggestion to do an MBA, I've listed some pros of doing it. But to be fair to the rest of the world, I've also listed the cons. You decide.


To MBA

- The Doorway - Coming from an IT background, the MBA was an eye opener to me about the world. It was a doorway to everything that's happening all around me. I began to look at the world differently - I even started to relate the movies I watched to what I had learnt. What 'adults' were saying started making sense. It had a big part to play in making me the person that I am today.

- The Enabler
- Whether or not the theory of what I had learnt in the classes changed me, just being able to sit and listen to the experienced lecturers share what they know about their subject matter, business and the world was a phenomenal experience. The MBA inspired me to think. It encouraged me to want to know more. It motivated me to push myself to break my own limitations. Frankly, the MBA played a big part in enabling and empowering me to want to start up on my own. The ambition, drive, spirit and energy of everyone else in the room were to strong not to notice.

- The 'How Much More Can I Take' Factor
- I was working full-time in a highly stressful, time consuming career when I pursued my MBA, and then my husband decided to propose. So I was juggling 3 life transforming things at the same time. It was, in not so many words, havoc! Just to add to the tumultuousness of life at that point of time, I had a thesis to complete. Really, I thought I was going mad. I was at home, but I was never at home! My parents knew I was upstairs somewhere, and rarely saw me. But that was my test. Could I do it? Could I juggle it all?

- Feel good time - Yes! Once it was over (though I was almost pulling out all my hair out of the sheer stress!) it felt goooood! (just imagine Jack Black saying that). I was ecstatic that it was over, and the plethora of knowledge etched into my brains was definitely an added advantage!

- The 3 letters behind your name - Well, I am not a Dr (yet) but I go around proudly parading the M.B.A behind my name on my business cards and training brochures. Does it carry any value? You tell me. Sharmila or Sharmila, M.B.A

- The Network - Oh, yes. I met some of the most interesting people in my MBA class, and they hail from all parts of the world - there's Morad from Morocco, my dear, dear friend. I used to tease him for always bringing in a large cup of black coffee from San Francisco Coffee, knowing well that there's free coffee in class. "It's just not strong enough, Charm" he would say. He says that the pronunciation of my name in French is Charm. Ah, the French...I have no complaints! And then there's Leonard from China. He has a good hand in photography..he took some of the best photos at my wedding! And what's-his-name from Maldives - good guy, but he came in when I was busy slugging it out at my thesis, so he might have known me as the 'Crazy Haired Girl'


Not To MBA

- The Cost - Simply put, an MBA is not cheap. The one I did cost me RM 30,000. There are some cheaper and some more expensive, depending on what you want. I wanted a good institution with good library facilities. Some are online, but to do this, you must be really strong, persistent and disciplined.

- The Time Sacrifice - Once I was done, I looked back at the 18 months and wished I didn't work so hard to get exemplary results. I wished I had spent more time with my family, as just months after, I got married and left to live 300km away! Believe me, I went through my fair share of "I wish" and "If only I...".

- The Sleepless Nights - I slept very little (wait...did I sleep at all??). Black rings and bags around my eyes was nothing new...in fact, I still have my black rings till today! Well, it adds personality, I guess, but be really prepared to do a lot of work...and I mean a lot! I even used to rush from Damansara to Sunway during lunch to meet my supervisor. A lot of dangerously fast driving involved! Hope my mum doesn't read this...

- The Realization - When you're spending all that time in your room by yourself, studying or completing an assignment or doing research or worrying about not being able to complete your assignment, it does things to you. You start thinking and realizing a lot of things. For me, it was the realization that I cannot do everything perfectly. The MBA actually, in its own unique way, introduced me to the value of balance in life...and I am still practising what I have learnt then, today.


The Grey Areas

- Will I be worth more than a non-MBA holder?
Not necessarily. Some companies actually seek for and pay more for an MBA graduate. For others, it really doesn't matter to them whether or not you have an MBA - they pay you just the same. So, be smart and choose who to work for.

- Will I be promoted to a managerial position with an MBA?
Again, it depends. Some companies actually state in black and white that an MBA will help. Some companies pay for your MBA, and then promote you once you're done. While it is obvious that an MBA should carry some weight in your career directions, some companies do not value it or require it for a promotion. Communication with your management is crucial before you make this decision - else, you might get extremely disappointed!

- Will I be guaranteed a job after completing my MBA?
Definitely not. I think I've lived long enough to know that nothing can be guaranteed. In fact, some employers might see you as a threat and others might think you're simply overqualified or too expensive for the position they have.

- Will I be looked at as more valuable that a person who is more street-smart?
Not really, it depends. Some companies and management actually value and reward book-smarts, while other prefer to see the number of years of experience that you have rather than the number of degrees.

Conclusion
Whether an MBA is for you, is your decision. Think well before you decide, and try not to turn back once you have started. It is a huge commitment, yes, but it reaps huge rewards (or as they say in the business world, the ROI makes it all worth the while). It'll take a lot out of you, yes, but it pays. As Tony Robbins preaches in his book Awaking the Giant Within, "Never underestimate the power of a truly committed decision, that is acted upon, no matter what, on a continuous basis".
Doing an MBA changes you - it changes how you perceive the world, how you look at other people and how you see yourself. I wish you luck in making this decision!

Sharmila is the CEO of the Professional Excellence and Lifelong Learning Centre. The opinions expressed here represent her own, based on her personal experiences. She welcomes comments at sharm79@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment